hey hey hey!
so I'm a pitchwars mentor again this year and SO EXCITED!!!! Pitch Wars is a FABULOUS contest run by Brenda Drake, and it provides amazing opportunities for writers to work with other writers to hone their craft and see their dreams come true! :)
why you want me as your mentor:
- w I'm repped by Penny Moore and she's amazing! I signed with her on a cold query, but I do love a good contest.
- w I write YA contemporary across the board, and read a lot of it too.
- w I'm obsessed with queries. I LOVE writing them and love helping people hone theirs for when they start sending them out.
- w I'm great with line editing and continuity. if something isn't flowing in your story, I'll be the first to tell you.
- w I'm really active on Twitter (and social media in general) and I'll communicate with you extensively.
- w I want YOU to succeed and want to help your MS be the best MS it can be! let's do this!
what I'm looking for: YA CONTEMP and THRILLERS, specifically:
- w ALL THE COMPLICATED FEELS, be that friendship or romantic or whatever - I want to see (and feel) some deep emotions.
- w super twisty thrillers - I want my mind blown! I also love a good gut punch when I least expect it.
- w unique and/or mysterious settings.
- w also unique and/or mysterious groups of people (like religious cults, or nonreligious cults, etc.)
- w I love darker contemps, serious stories that your characters have to claw their way out of.
- w stories that make me cry. break my heart or crush it or shatter it. but seriously, MAKE ME CRY.
- w family dynamics. show me complicated, interesting, or weird families.
- w love all kinds of diversity!
- w a unique voice - from the minute I read your first paragraph, I want your MC's voice oozing out.
- w dual narratives - some people shy away from this but I LOVE multiple POVs.
- w bittersweet beginnings, middles, and endings.
- w I do love magical realism, so long as it doesn't overwhelm the book and turn it into urban or contemporary fantasy.
what I'm not looking for:
- w anything that's not YA.
- w fluffy romancey books where everyone skips off into the sunset without a care in the world.
- w horror.
- w anything that doesn't fit into the contemporary or thriller genre.
my favorite YA contemps, so you get an idea of what I love:
- w The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly by Stephanie Oakes
- w How to Love by Katie Cotugno (and while we're on her, I did love 99 Days as well)
- w Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
- w Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas
- w Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
- w I also love Gone Girl as far as adult stuff goes, so if you got something like that in YA, SEND IT TO ME.
so, basically, let's get this done!
p.s. here's a few extra things about me:
- I'm Nerdy
- I'm Nifty
- I'm a Night owl
- I'm a North Carolinian
- I'm Nervous
- I'm Nice
(hint, hint, those N's might be useful for something, wink wink - but in case it's not super clear, you only need ONE of them, not six)
oh, also, check the other mentors, if you must: